The effect of temperature on membrane permeability in beetroot Free essay! Download now
Home > GCSE > Biology > The effect of temperature on membrane permeability in beetroot
The effect of temperature on membrane permeability in beetroot
You can download this essay for free. All you need to do is register and submit at least one of your essays to us.
Or you can purchase this essay for just $2 instantly without registering
Downloads to date:
| Words: 400 | Submitted: 06-Jun-2010
N/A | Number of pages: | Filetype: Word .doc
DescriptionThe effect of temperature on membrane permeability in beetroot
TAKE CARE WITH CORK BORER AND MOUNTED NEEDLE – MIND YOUR FINGERS
WEAR GOGGLES ONCE BUNSEN IS LIT
1. Use a cork borer to cut cylinders of fresh beetroot tissue. Place on a tile and cut into 42, 3 mm wide discs.
2. Place all the discs in a small beaker and wash under a running tap for at least 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, label the test tubes - 30C, 40C, 50C, 60C, 70C, 80C and 100C and use a graduated pipette to add 6 cm3 cold water to each.
4. Prepare a water bath using a large beaker, tripod and gauze and Bunsen burner.
5. Heat gently to 30C and remove the Bunsen burner.
6. Impale 6 beetroot discs on a mounted needle with space between each disc.
7. Place the discs on the needle in the water bath for exactly 1 min. Push off the discs and drop them into the test tube labelled 30C.
8. Heat the water bath gently to 40C and place 6 more discs on to the needle. Place the discs into the water bath for 1 min, then push the discs off and into the test tube labelled 40 C.
9. Repeat the procedure for the other tubes. Leave the discs in the test tubes for at least 20 mins.
10. Shake the tubes, hold to the light and compare the colour of the liquids in each.
11. If possible, use a colorimeter to compare the colours of each liquid.
Download this essay in full now!
Just upload at one of your essays to our database and instantly download your selection! Registration takes seconds
Comments and reviews
Reviews are written by members who have downloaded the essay
No comments yet. If you download the essay you can review it afterwards.