Determination of the Relative Atomic Mass of Lithium Free essay! Download now
Home > A Level > Chemistry > Determination of the Relative Atomic Mass of Lithium
Determination of the Relative Atomic Mass of Lithium
You can download this essay for free. All you need to do is register and submit at least one of your essays to us.
Or you can purchase this essay for just $2 instantly without registering
Downloads to date:
| Words: 1500 | Submitted: 26-Apr-2008
N/A | Number of pages: | Filetype: Word .doc
DescriptionThe aim of this experiment is to determine the relative atomic mass of
Lithium using two methods. The first method is to measure the volume
of hydrogen gas produced when a known mass of lithium reacts with
water. The second method is to titrate the solution of lithium
hydroxide produced from the first method.
1. Set up the apparatus accordingly (as shown below). Use a standing
clamp to hold the measuring cylinder upright.
2. Ensure the 100 cm measuring cylinder contains exactly 100 cm of
3. Cut a piece of Lithium using a knife and mat.
4. Weigh the cutting of lithium ensuring it is clean and weighs
approximately between 0.08g and 0.13g. Record the mass of lithium
accurately and exact to 3 decimal places.
5. Remove the stopper from the conical flask, place the lithium in the
conical flask and immediately replace the stopper to ensure no
hydrogen gas escapes.
6. Collect the hydrogen gas in the measuring cylinder and record the
Weight of Lithium
Amount of hydrogen collected
1st Attempt -
76 cm 0.00317 0.00317 X 2
2nd Attempt –
78 cm 0.00325 0.00325 X 2 = 0.0065
Average Titre –
Download this essay in full now!
Just upload at one of your essays to our database and instantly download your selection! Registration takes seconds
Comments and reviews
Reviews are written by members who have downloaded the essay
No comments yet. If you download the essay you can review it afterwards.