To investigate the effect of increasing the substrate concentration on the activity of catalase. Free essay! Download now
Home > A Level > Biology > To investigate the effect of increasing the substrate concentration on the activity of catalase.
To investigate the effect of increasing the substrate concentration on the activity of catalase.
You can download this essay for free. All you need to do is register and submit at least one of your essays to us.
Or you can purchase this essay for just $2 instantly without registering
Downloads to date:
| Words: 1800 | Submitted: 20-Apr-2008
N/A | Number of pages: | Filetype: Word .doc
DescriptionTo study this, I will take several different concentrations of the substrate Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), and react them with the enzyme catalase under controlled conditions.
Stop clock: This is used so that we can accurately measure the 30 seconds needed for each reaction.
• Safety goggles will be worn by all members of our group for the duration of the experiment to protect our eyes from harmful hydrogen peroxide and catalase that would damage them.
• Special care will be taken when measuring, handling and using the hydrogen peroxide as it is highly corrosive.
• Each stage of the experiment will be carried out carefully and systematically to minimise danger of spillages and breakages of equipment and substances.
• All apparatus used will be thoroughly washed and checked by the group members to ensure that no residue remains that could harm others around us.
• If spillage does occur, the area will be immediately washed to avoid corrosion from hydrogen peroxide and damage to equipment or skin.
Factors we must control in the experiment:
The volume of the enzyme (catalase): this needs controlling so that the reaction speed will not be compromised with different amounts of catalase being used at different times. Each solution must have the exact same volume of enzyme to make this experiment reliable.
Download this essay in full now!
Just upload at one of your essays to our database and instantly download your selection! Registration takes seconds
Comments and reviews
Reviews are written by members who have downloaded the essay
No comments yet. If you download the essay you can review it afterwards.